The Wonderful World of Becca

Saturday, March 14, 2009

A weird Thursday!

I had the weirdest day on Thursday… we had a morning of training at work. It was only meant to be a half hour session, but it turned into about an hour and a half… it was all about making financial revisions of a fairly new computer system we’re using. We’ve had it since September and so far it’s caused so many problems. I didn’t initially understand the financial side of it at all, but now I seem to have got it. And everything clicked into place really quick yesterday. So I found myself getting really frustrated; I couldn’t comprehend why the others in the office didn’t get it straight away. It’s weird, in my mind as they continued to wrestle with numbers and I waited for them to get it right, I compared it to when I teach. I often find myself getting frustrated when people don’t just get it straight away. Like if a child can’t seem to get the note out or play the rhythm right, I find myself feeling impatient and wondering why they can’t just do it. I wonder what that says about me… is it my personality? Am I an impatient person? Do I need to find new ways of expressing things? Do I need new teaching ideas?

Prior to that I’d had a mother on the phone. The second she spoke, I knew who she was, despite her not having told me. She’s Chinese and has a really strong accent, which I, unfortunately, really struggle to understand. It sounded like she was asking for Heather, I asked her to repeat it maybe twice, each time it still sounded like Heather. So I asked if she meant Helen. She said no, then it sounded like she said Head, so I asked her if she wanted to speak to Graeme. At which point she burst into tears and passed the phone to her husband. He didn’t really know what to say and I could just hear her in hysterics in the background. It was all very strange and completely threw me for the rest of the day!!!!

The evening was nice, cell group was actually really cool. I seemed to be asking ‘why?’ a lot… maybe critical reflection has finally become a part of my lifestyle!! But yeah, a good night :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home